The Education Justice Project is proud to be a unit of the Department of Education Policy, Organization, and Leadership (EPOL) within the College of Education the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are an unusual academic unit in that we have few staff. We rely on the energy and dedication of dozens of EJP volunteer members—graduate students, faculty, undergraduate students, staff, and community members. Their in-kind contributions amount to many hundreds of hours each year. Working collaboratively, they take responsibility for designing programs, implementing them, and for outreach and operational functions as well.
EJP has about seventy active outside (i.e. non-incarcerated) members during any given semester. Our larger network of almost two hundred includes EJP Faculty Affiliates, former EJP instructors who have left central Illinois but remain connected to EJP’s work.
EJP’s current director is Rebecca Ginsburg, a University of Illinois faculty member. As a graduate student at Berkeley she taught in the college program at San Quentin State Prison and became convinced of the necessity of providing quality education programs to incarcerated men and women. After arriving at Illinois as an assistant professor in 2004, she worked with a group of fellow Illinois faculty, graduate students, and community members to found EJP. Although trained as an architectural historian, since 2012 she has been based in EPOL, with joint appointments in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Art History, Anthropology, African American Studies, and African Studies.
The EJP director is guided by an Advisory Council that assists in setting policy and strategic planning. The chair of the Advisory Council is Tracy Dace and its members are:
- Perry Benson Jr., PhD student, Department of Education Policy, Organization and Leadership,UIUC
- Ellyn Bullock, Attorney
- Samuel Byndom, Assistant Superintendent, Urbana School District
- Tracy Dace, Instructor, Parkland College and Visionary Director, DREAAM and chair of EJP’s Advisory Council
- Leon Dash, Professor, Journalism, UIUC
- Mike Doyle, Executive Director, University YMCA
- John Deckert, Attorney
- Katie Fizdale, resident, Urbana
- Rebecca Ginsburg, Director, EJP and Associate Professor, Department of Education Policy, Organization and Leadership, UIUC
- Greg Jahiel, Social Worker, READY School
- Helen Neville, Professor, Educational Psychology, UIUC
- Yoon Pak, Interim Head, Department of Education Policy, Organization and Leadership, UIUC (ex oficio)
- Giraldo Rosales, Assistant Director, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Access, UIUC
- Rachel Storm, Assistant Director, Women’s Resource Center, University of Illinois
- James Warren, Social Worker, Champaign
Rae-Anne Montague joined EJP in 2017 as Director of Grassroots Fundraising to strengthen and expand relationships and seek new funding streams.